Did you know that 1 in 15 Australians will file a claim on their Home and Contents insurance each year – that’s nearly 720,000 claims.

What many tenants don’t think about is that whilst you might not be required to get home insurance, you are liable for any damages that happen to your belongings, even whilst living in a rental property. It is so important for tenants to take out contents insurance! We can’t tell you how many times we have heard horror stories of floods or fires that devastate the house, and all of the things inside it. One of our tenants, in fact, had their house burn down to the ground with all of his life’s’ belongings inside. Thankfully the tenant wasn’t harmed, but the same could not be said for the contents of the house. Unfortunately, the tenant hadn’t taken out contents insurance so wasn’t covered for the loss of their belongings (all furniture, clothes, electronics, memories, etc).

Ask yourself, ‘If disaster struck, would I be in a financial position to replace all my furniture, clothes, computers and electronics?’ We can’t control everything that happens, but we can take steps to reduce the financial impact of unexpected events.

Depending on the level of insurance you have decided to take out, it may also cover you for temporary accommodation while you aren’t able to live in your home. Contents Insurance usually also covers your belongings against:

  • Fire
  • Vandalism
  • Theft and attempted theft
  • Storm damage and lightning
  • Water damage and floods
  • Explosion and impact damage
  • Earthquakes.


So, please, make sure you take out contents insurance!